The hospital of S. Giacomo in Augusta had been one of the most important hospital complexes in the city, until its closure in 2008. Built in the XIV century in an area between via del Corso and the Tiber, near porta Flaminia, it could host pilgrims entering Rome from the north in need of medical assistance. In the XVI century, the hospital of S. Giacomo modi)es its architectural structure and reforms its statutes. (us, the building expansion projects by Baldassarre Peruzzi and Antonio da Sangallo the Younger are part of this renovation period, endowing the building with an H-shaped plan. The complex was defined in the following years (1579-1590) at the initiative of monsignor Antonio Maria Salviati. Finally, drastic adjustments will be planned by Pietro Camporese the youngest (1842-1849) and later by the engineer Carlo Gasparri, in the 1950s.