The Académie de Die was founded in 1604, following a conflict with Montélimar concerning the choice of city in which to host the institution. It occupied a particular position in the network of French Protestant academies given that it was not dependent on the Reformed Churches but the Dauphiné province. After a problematic start, it operated uninterruptedly from 1607 to 1684. The theology and philosophy teachers were not leading figures, but scholars qualified to prepare pupils destined to become good ministers (little is known of other pupils). Both the teachers and pupils were recruited from the region. As did other academies, Die faced a great deal of hostility. It experienced financial difficulties but the city of Die and the province were unable to cover expenses or resist Catholic actions. Such problems led to the Academy's closure in 1684.